Monday, June 2, 2008

Six of my relatives are here. Or, well, maybe five. One of them seems to be a friend. I didn't get properly introduced to her because she was taking a nap or something. I kind of want Stephanie to come over while they're here, so that I can say, SEE WHY I THINK I'M DANISH? I mean if you have a 16th of Italian blood in you, then whatever. But if half your family, including your dad, two of your brothers, your aunt, your grandma and then all your great uncles and aunts and second cousins speak Danish as a first language - are you not then a part of the Danish identity as well?

I don't speak Danish. I wish I did, but I don't. Nobody ever claimed that my identity was Danish. I'm American, if anything. But yeah, a part of my blood, a huge part of my family is Danish.

That's my defense. Not that I need it.

I'm not sure of the... social rules. I mean, in Colombia, everybody hugs everybody when you greet someone. And many kiss on the cheek. That's why I hugged Monica and kissed the air by her cheek.

In Denmark, everybody handshakes everybody! But perhaps they only did that to me because it was first greeting. ??? Anyway, I hugged my grandma and my great Aunt. I handshaked the men. But I offered my hand. :p When in Rome... wait! Perhaps that's why they didn't offer their hands, because they're in America and they know that it isn't our custom. I would have offered my hand to my Aunt, but I had a cookie in one hand and a bowl of cereal in the other. Nearly did it anyway but she turned back into the kitchen.

I can't really hang out with them. Like, there's no room for me at the dinner table and there's no room for me in the van when they go out. It's hard for me, as well, because they speak a little English but whenever I respond to them, I don't know how much they'll understand. You know? I answer their questions and I'm like, shit, do they know that word?

It's funny though, cause the one who gave me the least awkward greeting was my Aunt's boyfriend. lol. He came up behind me and I think he touched my shoulder and kind of got real close and said hello. Kind of in that silly, friendly way. And I smiled and said hi and offered my hand. And asked how he was and he said, all things considered (trains and planes), he was pretty good. It was just comfortable and easy.

I think all my other relatives were a bit hesitant to greet me. Like they felt awkward. My great uncle didn't recognize me at first, but that's okay cause I didn't recognize him at first. I was like Where are Eric and Lillian? and he said that they were out there and I realized that they were who I had already greeted but who I didn't recognize. So c'est la vie.

Amelia made a joke. It was funny. Cause they gave us presents, so we were opening them up. My mom told me to "make happy" whatever it was. Like she thought I would be ungrateful and frown or something? DUH. I KNOW HOW TO BE GRATEFUL. For me, it's not about what they gave me. It's the thought that counts. lol. But no, it really is. When someone takes the time to buy me a present, it's a gesture that I like. It doesn't matter what it is. They told me and Amelia that we could exchange it, in Denmark. So we'd have to go there to exchange it. My necklace is green though, so that's awesome. Hers is blue.

But, yeah, the joke wasn't so much funny as just surprisingly witty for Amelia. She usually doesn't have a quick wit. But she seemed completely at ease and said a couple things to my dad that were witty. It was nice to see. It's a little bit hard for her, because by blood, this isn't her family. Dad has considered her his daughter since she was three or four and he officially adopted her when she was like seven, her biological dad gave up his legal rights... but like, she can't say she's Danish the way I can.

Although, I'm not very important to them either. I can tell. They like my dad the most. You know? My mom and I aren't very close to them. My grandma had pictures of Amelia and I in a photo album and she brought all of us presents, including Isis. It'll be fun to see how they treat Isis. Of course she's a baby, but, yes, she is a bit of a distant relation.

Amelia does still keep in touch with her biological dad and his family, so she's got what I don't have. And Stephanie and Loren have their dad and their grandmother on that side. We all have our own thing, despite being siblings.

So.. I always come on here to talk about something but lose sight of it. It's 7Am but I did sleep for half the night. Went to sleep at midnight, about. Kept waking up every hour. Did that the other morning as well. Every damn hour, it seemed. This time I was just a really light sleeper. I woke up because of Felix's texts. Then I woke up because someone went to the bathroom. And I woke up because I had a dream that Felix called and woke me up. Kind of a weird dream, actually, cause in the dream I was sleeping and he called my house - which, I could only vaguely hear because the house phone in my room is on silent. So when I woke up in real life, I had to see if anybody had called or anything, to wake me up and it had just seeped into my dream.

No comments: