Sunday, November 18, 2007

I'm almost convinced I don't want to read today. I read ten hours yesterday. I'm the type of person who gets overwhelmed if there's no end in sight. When something is particularly long I make my goal the half way point. Or I make my goal to chapter 30. Or I make my goal to the one hundredth page and then the 200th page. I take it step my step. I cannot take a pile of books, lock myself in a room and just let go. It doesn't give me enjoyment. It makes me anxious. I need to have an end in sight. I'm goal oriented. I'm always anxious for the book to be over because I need to have something accomplished. It motivates me.

So I get really gluttonous. Greedy for accomplishment. I love to count. And organize. And make lists.

So what I have is, a list of the hours it will take me to read the 12 books that are on my list for Thanksgiving vacation. I usually have a good idea of how long it will take me to read a book based on the subject matter, the page length and font and the amount of pages. Sometimes I read a little slower than I predict. Sometimes I read a little faster than I predict. But goals are easily regained. There's no sense in mourning the loss of such a goal. I just make another one and change it accordingly. I never care if I don't make it. At least the small goals. I love finishing the whole book.

I guess I am greedy for the accomplishment. That's why I have so many books on my reading list. And that's why I've tallied it up and it's about six hours a day for the next eight days. That's how much reading I have to do.

I almost feel like my head is swimming with words. So much reading. So much absorption. I'm fairly sure I'm not doing myself any good with my gluttony. But when I think of the books that are sitting over there unread, and what they will look like to me when I glance down and know that they're read. The book will symbolize accomplishment and that energy will look good as I glance down at the book read.

No comments: