Sunday, September 16, 2007

I hate defending people to my family. Like no one is good enough. In fact, I have always got the feeling that people, in general, are not good enough for my mom. I can name an entire list of things that are evil in this world and pretty much the larger mass of people are associated with them. I'm not saying that they aren't wrong. The point is, she judges people for all the wrong reasons. And all I do is defend and defend and defend.

I mean, sometimes she'll say bad things about some of my friends because of the things they do like smoke or drink. And then she'll be like, well your friend Kyle - I like him. And I'll be like, guess what? He smokes and he loves to get drunk at parties and do stupid things.

It doesn't mean that smoking and drinking, especially at a young age, is right, in my eyes. It just means that you can't say that all teenagers who get drunk at high school parties are evil and all teenagers who don't get drunk are not. There's that one thing going around that describes a president who does all these horrible things and then describes someone who does all these controversial things and the one who did the bad things is like Abe Lincoln and the one who is a good member of society will be like Hitler. I can't remember it exactly but the point is the same, you can't judge a book by its cover.

And my mom judges books by their covers and perhaps their subjects. Like the entire Scifi will be evil as far as she's concerned.

And maybe my problem is that I want my friends to be good enough under my parents eyes. But in some cases, I needed them to be good enough because my parents would make decisions based on their wrong assumptions that affected my life or my friend's life. I mean, if my dad told me that I couldn't sleep over at Kristen's house because she sold drugs and she didn't really sell drugs, would I just roll over and take it or would I try to prove her innocence? That's what it's like.

I'm tired of it. I can't guarantee that I'll never get involved with someone who is "evil" but for the record, my mom was married to an "evil" person for 11 years. Plus she thinks her mom is "evil."

Although that doesn't really help my case.

I just don't have the energy to vouch for someone, to fight for him or her in my parents' eyes.

No comments: